Profile: Dawand Jones was born on August 6th, 2001 in Indianapolis, IN. In high school, Jones was ranked as a four-star recruit (38th OT nationally) coming out of Ben Davis High School by ESPN, soon accepting an offer by Ohio State to play football after being a high school basketball sensation.
In 2021, Jones would soon emerge as a starter for the buckeyes and would soon be named as a member of the All-Big 10 second team at the conclusion of his junior year and a first-team All-American after his senior year, breaking numerous expectations for OSU.
During the NFL Draft process, Jones was expected to go mid 1st round – early 2nd round but fell due to many draft expectations that he didn’t love football as much as he did with basketball, a similar thing happened to Siaki Ika during the draft process.
After being drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 4th round, it’s seems the Browns got the steal of a lifetime with a dominating RT ready in the backup role, it’s only up to him to take the game of football seriously while he’s here.
Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
Age: 21 years old
Arm Length: 36 3/8”
Hand Size: 11 5/8”
Height/Weight: 6’3”, 359lbs
NFL Combine Results: 40-yard dash: 5.35 & 10-yard split: 1.92
2023 NFL Draft: 111th overall pick (4th round) by the Cleveland Browns
Ideal Role: A true right tackle that uses his size and strength to dominates gap running schemes
— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) May 12, 2023
- Once in a lifetime freak of nature at 6’8 and over 350 pounds; you wonder if this guy was made in a lab like Frankenstein when you watch his tape, especially when you consider his elite arm length at 36” long
- Easily picks up and processes twists/stunts and complex rushes
- The (not so gentle) giant; he will bulldoze through defenders coming downhill given his relentless motor
— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) May 12, 2023
- Plays too tall for his own good; the most experienced defensive linemen will get under his pads and have freewill of control over the giant
- Plays too considerably stiff in space to be a left tackle, just doesn’t naturally transition in open field situations, especially in the NFL
- Struggles to control momentum and hips on run plays, he’s like a Lamborghini with a first time driver
Career Achievements: 2x All-Big Ten second team (2021, 2022), & 2022 First-team All-American
Fun Fact: During Cleveland Browns rookie minicamp, Dawand Jones is being mentored into becoming a LT, creating a possible position battle situation in order to see who will be protecting Deshawn Watson’s blindside
NFL Projection for Dawand Jones: Cincinnati Bengals OT Orlando Brown Jr
Final Verdict: B- draft grade; A clear work in progress and will likely be the Browns backup RT by opening day but can become an A+ grade if he’s able to transition properly to the LT role